*nearly 4m high
* storage space at the top
*doors to match original oak doors
* large area with 2 different high bars to maximise the space
*tall thin area for long dresses and garments
* lights inside
* must look part of the original building and wall
So with the basic idea there we got to work on a few ideas, we originally come up with the idea of using normal doors and having it look like 2 rooms from the outside but the are we had to work with is big as it was just wasn’t going to work, so to maximise the interior use of the wardrobe it was thought best to stick with typical sliding doors, but we would have to try and match them to the top section as well.
The client had already seen some doors they liked at B&Q so it was decided to design and built it all around these and cut the top doors down to make them fit, also running them on sliders as well so it made it nice and easy for top access to the storage area, but still matching the bottom doors, we did have a few issues with the colour match in the end and did try a few other options but matching real wood furniture especially oak is rather tricky, but its very close now.
So we got to work, pulled back the carpet and lifted all the underlay up so we had a nice area to work with, even though we had draw plans up already for dementions it wasn’t till this point that we decided on what depth to come out from the wall, giving a nice big internal space for hanging,
All internal dry lining was done before the outside, just to make it easier to work with, plus more time management really as one area will be drying as you can work on another section.
then it was on to outside dry lining and filler work, all panels secured, taped and ready for filler, working up and down the ladder added a slightly different element to the build but was interesting
all plasterboard and filler was then sealed and left to dry over night, before couple coats of matt white emulsion was applied the following day to show up any filler pin holes or marks, also to clean up all the edges and give it a good base for the client to have painted and glossed after the Christmas period.
Next we cut and fitted all door frames and architraves ready for the sliding door runners, also we then installed all internal lighting, and added pressure switches for the doors so the lights would come on when the doors where slide back, either lower door can activate the lights but it just adds a different element and saves having external light switches
We then had to cut a sliding door down to make 2 smaller sliding doors, extra catches and runners where ordered but its nice to have the same doors at the top as you do at the bottom, also underlay and carpet grippers where placed back ready for us to install the carpet back inside and around the wardrobe