wichelstowe is one of the newest areas of Swindon for home development, it has sprung up very quickly in the last couple of years and creating its very own little community within the town.
So when a client got in contact about the challenge of doing some wichelstowe decking the rear garden, we were excited to be able to do some work in the area for them.
on our first visit to measure up and evaluate the land, it was obvious the ground around the area is very poor, ie why the grass didn’t or doesn’t grow very well, after all its still a building ground for the housing developers at the moment with so many houses being completed on a daily bases
so we had a slope, clay and lots of base material, some concrete and an area around 20sq metres, but luckly the width was 4.8m perfect for a 4.8m length of decking, but the customer first of wanted a step the full width of the decking leading from the patio up, but after chatting to them, we suggested may be going for a smaller step in the middle and then lay a sleeper either side of the step to create a nice area for bedding plants, bring a little colour to the garden.
So we got to work digging up the top soil and turf that was there, we had to remove the top layer of stone and brick that’s buried with in these new builds,pull back and level off, only needing to remove about 40 rubble bags worth of material from the ground, it was at this point after levelling and seeing the ground conditions we decided to add 2 steps instead of one and ran them at 2.4m wide again to utilize a 2.4m length decking board , just to bring the decking a little higher at the front and to remove the need to go down any lower on the back edge next to the wall.
It was all based around the steps and the original patio, this was the first part to be built and gravel boards added to stop the back fill falling in to the bedding soil for the plants, a large 2.4 sleep was cut in to two pieces and placed either end of the steps and secured to the step, the front edge of the decking was now in places and support posts cemented into place, the front of the decking was now in the right place and solid, everything else could be built around this.
frame work all cut and in place and weed membrane place beneath as we went, we secured the frame in to the walls and drive kerb to give it extra strength and then also ran a center section of sunken support posts cemented in to place, ran a small run towards the drive for water to run off
Then we started to out down the decking boards, as I said we used 4.8m lengths of decking and only had to trim a few boards at the end next to the driveway,, so it was a simple run of decking boards but works really well in the garden.
well the final finished decking, just needs a few more plants in the boarders, again the customer has decided to not stain the decking at present, they are looking to let the boards weather off a little and hopeful in time will silver off to match the fence, then can be sealed with a clear finish to protect it through the winter months
all ready for the late night summer evenings